We have been experiencing new habits, new requirements and the growing concern with improving the quality of life that consumers have been demanding.
Today, when we talk about new consumer desires and aspirations, we cannot limit ourselves only to “price” or “taste”, but several directions are making the Industry reinvent itself and adapt to new demands.
Consumers have been the engine of this transformation. Therefore, we are bringing content based on information from Mintel to help you understand these new consumer desires and aspirations.
- QUALITY REFINED
The pandemic has changed and will change consumer value priorities in terms of time savings, familiarity and justifiable treatments. Many people will continue to work, relax and play at home for the next 12 months.
Brands have opportunities to offer products focused on economic inspiration and differentiated flavors. Innovative food and beverage formulations will be accepted as solutions for mental and emotional well-being, which will lead to a new interest in psychology-based approaches to healthy eating.
Many consumers are focused on their market budgets
Budget is an important factor for Latin American buyers. “Value” will mean buying groceries at competitive prices that meet the basic needs of: taste, quality, health and safety.
Consumers have a lot of values in food and beverages.
Consumers in a state of pandemic shock are now focused on minimal consumption and getting the best returns from their purchases:
- 41% of Chilean consumers were buying premium food and beverages in July 2020, but only 20% expect to buy premium food regularly in a year.
- 48% of Brazilian consumers say that the lowest price will be an important quality when buying food/beverage due to COVID-19.
- 50% of Colombian consumers choose food that is easy (ie quick to prepare) all or most of the time since July 2020.
Main actions to be taken in 2021-22 to redefine quality
- Add excitement to home life
Food, beverage and food service brands must adapt to the new demands of domestic activities. Opportunities exist for brands to offer time savings for yet another home dinner during the week, as well as experiential kits that elevate home celebrations.
- Invite small indulgences
As consumers are impacted by the uncertainties and difficulties of the pandemic in 2021, consumers still need to be careful. Food, beverage and food service brands can offer fun flavors and shapes, as well as affordable little treats that are worth blowing someone’s budget.
- Consumers need convenience at all price points
Home activities are preferred during times of recession, but brands need to adapt to new demands as people are working, studying and relaxing at home.
Consumers will demand food-service-inspired options as a form of shortcuts to weekday dinners, as well as special “hometainment” occasions:
- About 30% of consumers in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru say that speed and ease of preparation will be important for preparing food in the future.
- Health-conscious consumers will seek familiar plant-based options
Products with plant-based appeal are already in constant growth and can be of help to consumers who want to eat more fruits, vegetables, legumes, pulses, grains and other plants, either as a main ingredient or as a substitute for ingredients of animal origin.
- 63% of Mexicans, 61% of Chileans and 61% of adult Peruvians who are determined to eat less animal products (eg dairy, meat) after the pandemic subsides and also decide to eat more homemade meals.
- UNITED BY FOOD
Food and beverage brands can balance a person’s need to feel unique and special with a desire to be part of communities of like-minded individuals.
Brands have the opportunity to support consumers who are discovering new hobbies and expressing facets of their personalities through their food and beverage choices.
COVID-19 complicated socialization
- 42% of Brazilian adults say that keeping in touch with family/friends is a high priority and 37% say it is a medium priority.
- 70% of adult Brazilians feel uncomfortable having parties/meetings in their homes as of January 2021.
- 73% of adult Brazilians feel uncomfortable going to other people’s homes for parties/meetings in January 2021.
Brands are bringing people together and helping to build their identities
We know that the pandemic impacted the socialization of many consumers. An example of reinvention at that time was carried out by alcoholic beverage brands, such as Brahma and Amstel, where the return of the football championships was celebrated, inviting consumers to join the crowd even from home.
Other brands such as Ruffles, promote “collective” celebrations offering virtual experiences. And others are also empowering consumer groups.
Main actions to be carried out in 2021-22 by Unidos pelo Alimentos
- Helping consumers show who they are
Brands can help consumers express their individual values and personal passions. By inviting them to collaborate on innovations, rescue their pre-pandemic hobbies and proclaim their passions externally to the world.
- bring consumers together
After establishing a fan base, brands can introduce them to each other.
Through a range of platforms, brands will help consumers establish new social connections online and in real life.
- Enjoy dedication to certain hobbies or brands
Food, beverage and food services can leverage consumers’ dedication to their brands by expanding into neighboring categories or creating complementary CPG products.
By 2021, brands can encourage people to share their achievements (or failures) on social media or online brand forums.
- FEED THE MIND
Consumers are often stressed and anxious. Therefore, they need solutions for emotional and mental health. Food and drink can provide comfort, joy and other emotional connections through rituals and functional formulations. A better understanding of how what you eat makes you feel drives the adoption of psychological approaches to healthy eating.
COVID-19 has been a constant source of anxiety for many people.
The pandemic has made consumers recognize that well-being, including mental and emotional health, is a vital concern:
- 75% of Brazilian adults are concerned about exposure to COVID-19 as of January 2021.
- 56% of Brazilian adults say their mental well-being is a high priority and 27% say it is a medium priority in January 2021.
- 42% of Brazilian adults say healthy eating is a high priority and 37% say it is a medium priority in January 2021.
Main actions to be taken in 2021-22 for Feed the Mind
- Create Emotional Connections Through Rituals
Food and beverage brands can offer escape, peace and other emotional benefits when creating rituals. Occasions from preparation to consumption can offer moments of calm and clarity.
- Connect with intuitive or conscious feeding
As some consumers decide to improve their diets in the wake of COVID-19, the concepts of intuitive and conscious eating will begin to introduce the concept of healthy eating psychology.
- Offer moments of rest through rituals
The preparation, presentation, consumption and even cleaning offer occasions for experiential rituals. The format, instructions and packaging can help create a ritual.
Consumers Are Resolving to Improve Their Diets After COVID-19
As some people decided to improve their diets after the COVID-19 pandemic, intuitive eating and services like Noom began to introduce the psychology of healthy eating.
These solutions encourage a better understanding of how much, when and what people eat, offering flexibility rather than rigid rules. This is in line with consumers’ desire for flexibility in diets: 85% of Brazilian adults agree that it’s important to balance healthier options with indulgent options.
Most Latin American consumers believe in mood-enhancing ingredients
More foods and beverages will be formulated for mental/emotional health with ingredients such as B vitamins, adaptogens or Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine staples.
MasterSense has a portfolio of innovative solutions for you to meet the main trends and desires of the new consumer.
Access and learn more
The main vegan food trends in the marketNovember 1st was elected as World Vegan Day, an important date for Vegans or vegan food supporters. ...
Valentine's Day Unlike other countries in the world, in Brazil Valentine's Day is celebrated on June 12th, a date thought to be the day before the...
Women are vain, that's no secret. Whether they are 15, 20, 50 or 80 years old, they maintain a daily care routine to mainly please themselves! And...